- Use a clean vase
- Trim flowers with a clean, sharp knife or pruners
- Fill vase with clean water
- Change water and trim stems regularly ... ideally every day but every 2-3 days is also good. Even just changing the water can make a big difference.
- Keep your flowers away from heat and drafts
- Keep flowers away from ripening fruit and vegetables
- Deadhead spent blooms
Flowers disintegrate faster when there are conditions for bacteria to grow. By using a clean vase and changing water regularly you are removing that bacteria from the stems. By trimming the stems you are also removing any bacteria that may be clogging the end of the stems and allowing water once again to hydrate the bloom.